2-1-1 Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Who Can Dial?

Our 2-1-1 Call Center serves the state of Nebraska and eight counties in southwest Iowa: Pottawattamie, Harrison, Mills, Shelby, Cass, Montgomery, Fremont and Page. 91% of the U.S. population can dial 2-1-1, and 30 states have statewide coverage, including Nebraska and Iowa.

Back to Top


What information can I get by calling or clicking on 2-1-1?

The 2-1-1 call center and database offer referrals for:

  • Utility/Rent/Financial Assistance
  • Food/Shelter/Clothing
  • Abuse Prevention
  • Counseling/Mental Health Services
  • Support Groups
  • Senior Services
  • Children/Teen Services

Back to Top


How can I utilize the 2-1-1 Database?

The easiest way is to simply dial 2-1-1! Our Information and Referral Specialists will be happy to assist you with a needs referral. Our searchable database is available here.

PLEASE NOTE: Not all cell phones, pay phones and company pbx phone systems allow callers to dial 2-1-1 or other three-digit phone numbers. But you can still reach the 2-1-1 call center by dialing (402) 444-6666.

Back to Top


What organizations are included in the Nebraska 2-1-1 coalition?

The Nebraska 2-1-1 coalition includes the State of Nebraska, the Nebraska Public Service Commission, Nebraska's United Way organizations, University of Nebraska's Public Policy Center, regional and county health departments, and others. It's a great team that's getting callers connected with services across the state. United Way of the Midlands also works with United Ways in Iowa, and the national Alliance of Information and Referrals Services (AIRS).

Back to Top