Housing assistance has been a prominent need among our community during the pandemic. In 2020, United Way of the Midlands received over 1,100 applications for rent and mortgage assistance. With support from donors and grant funding, we were able to provide $800,000 in housing aid. United Way of the Midlands will continue to be there for our community members experiencing this issue. The 211 Helpline is a key resource for those facing eviction in our community. Today we want to answer some commonly asked questions about how to receive rent and mortgage assistance through 211.
Below provides some guidance on what may be asked or what may be needed when you contact 211 about rent or mortgage assistance. Please note, if you don’t have any of this information, you can still reach out to 211.
1.) What’s the best way to contact the 211 Helpline for rent and mortgage assistance?
- Call 2-1-1
- Text your zipcode to 898211
- Visit ne211.org
- Download the 211 Nebraska/SW Iowa App available on Apple and Android App stores
Get Assistance 24/7
2.) Are there certain requirements to be eligible?
Individuals should be behind with housing payments, not looking for future help with rent/mortgage assistance. Also, every situation is different, so 211 looks at each caller’s need. 211 will ask how you got behind and how you can sustain paying your rent/mortgage. Once they look at these factors, they will look at the best solution for you.
3.) What information should I have before I call?
Before you call, have information about:
- Your Employment Status
- Additional Personal Information
- The reason you got behind on your rent/mortgage
- A plan on how you can sustain your rent/mortgage payments
After assessing your case, 211 may need more information about your income, insurance info, and your Social Security Number.
4.) How long does it take to get my assistance?
Applications have to be processed before assistance can be given. Your application can begin being processed once it is received by 211. Once it is received, it will be reviewed on a first-come, first-serve basis. After your application is reviewed, it all depends on how many applications 211 has at the time. Usually, in about 10 business days you can get assistance. This can vary, though, depending on how long it takes for 211 to reach your landlord.
5.) What do I need to do after contacting 211?
Please return your rental/mortgage assistance application ASAP. The sooner you get that paperwork in; the sooner 211 can find you a solution. Also, please inform your landlord that the 211 helpline will be contacting them.
6.) How do I follow up on my applications:
Applicants can contact 211 anytime to follow up on their application.
* Please note there may be some instances when you are ineligible for rent and mortgage assistance through our program. None of our assistance is immediate or guaranteed. We only have one funder for rent; therefore, if you have utilized it in the past and reached the max lifetime assistance, that could disqualify you. If the amount you need is over the guidelines or exceeds your lifetime allotment, you will either be denied or be required to work with us and pay something towards your balance. Please contact 211 if you are questioning your eligibility for this program. 211 will not know if you are eligible or not until they work with you directly and hear about your situation.
211 is for everyone.
No matter how big or small the issue is, 211 is there to support you. By calling 211 or texting your zip code to 898211, you can learn more about local services and funding that can help you get back on your feet.
211 Helpline specialists help our community find:
- Tax Help
- Food pantries
- Utility assistance
- Rent assistance
- Domestic violence services
- Legal services
- Support Groups
- Healthcare services
- and more.
Get in touch today
Call: 211 or (402)444-6666
Text: Your zip code to 898211
Here’s how YOU can support 211.
1. Donate what you can through the form below. Proceeds will support 211 to connect more people in need to resources that can help.
About the Author
Emily is the Marketing Coordinator at United Way of the Midlands. She helps the team with all aspects of marketing projects. Emily finds it incredibly rewarding to be able to support our community through storytelling. Emily enjoys reading a good book, podcasts, and volunteering.
United Way of the Midlands | 2201 Farnam Street | Omaha, NE 68102 | 402-342-8232